I'm Groovin...


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Saturday, July 12, 2008

So I was journaling about this past week and I got to thinking. Being poor and poverty are two different things.
I don't know if I said that right. I mean I don't have much money, and I guess technically my income puts me at the poverty level but from the work I've already been doing with clients I know the situation I'm in is nothing like poverty.
Poverty is more than just not having money. It's systemic. It's a whole host of issues and way of thinking, perception of reality and life.
I know that for me, one day I will I have money again. But for those in poverty, it just really never ends. It creates an identity for that person that they live with forever.
Poverty is very different than not having money.
Being in poverty is very different than not having money.

Something pretty cool happened today.
In many ways I stradde two differnt communities and I'm constantly being faced with that. For example when I walk from work I move from North Philly, which is known for it's crime and poverty, right into the heart of the city where the monuments and museums and tourist friendly destinations are. Then I go into the Rittenhouse are with its fancy shops and restaurants, then University City with all of the academia and then my neighborhood with it's little charm. But still I live on one of the busiest streets in Philly and north of me there is subsidized housing and south of me is coffee shops and boutiques. Yet each one has a distinctive community. Anyways on my way to Aldi's I was stopped by this old man. He looked at me and started yelling keep your head up, look ahead, everything is going to be all right. It was very sweet.

All the world is a football field and everyone is a cheerleader.
BTdubs at this very moment I am cooking my first homemade meal in my new apartment. It's kinda of random but I am very excited.

No comments: