I'm Groovin...


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

indulgence

I am lying on my air mattress, with a pillow propped up behind my head attempting not to move. I am incredibly nauseated, but for the most wonderful reason.
My boss Delese came into town along with our new development associate and communications associate. They're here for VISTA training. Site Coordinators use to be VISTAs but now we're National Direct members. Anyway Delese came in and took us all out to dinner. We ate in the Rittenhouse Square district at this great restaurant. I had the most delectable burger and fries. Problem is, all I've been eating for the past month is like noodles and appelsause and triscuts and hummus. And if you are what you eat, tomorrow I'm going to wake up as a 30cent frozen burrito because that's what I eat for lunch everyday. I think I ate too much or I'm not used too so much food. I feel so sick.
But dinner was fun, and I really enjoy the company of the people I work with. I'm learning to be less self-concious and not become so obssessed with my akward moments or social blunders. In fact, now instead of saying akward turtle I take a cue from Leadershape and say "How fascinating!" It's done wonders for me. Wonderful is a state of mind.
Today was Alex's last day and I was simply sad. Now Sean and I are officially in charge. I already have two meetings this week. Today was really cool because I went to this session downtown on the housing crisis in Philadelphia. I learned about the history of affordable housing in the city and what the administration has been doing. Simply put, it's a hot mess. I wish I could move so I could get the statistics from my note book, but I know I'll have many more times to elaborate on them later.
Today I got the most wonderful e-mails from a former boss and former professor. Normally I write this kinda personal stuff in my journal but it really touched me and I'd like to share some of it:

As I taught you, I always felt that you were both compassionate
and productively other-centered.
Your work in Phily, coupled with the always positive
approach you take in Life,... will encourage and serve
to enhance those you 'touch, to be-and-do more for
themselves. Although difficult at times,... this invest-
ment in humanity will pay deep and long dividends as
you move through the World. I am honored to know you.


I have the most wonderful people in my life and I couldn't be more thankful. Words like these inspire me to work so hard. Sometimes the best way to see yourself is through someone else's eyes.

Song: In Your Eyes by Peter Gabriel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXyX45A0Alk

Quote: Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more; Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours. Swedish Proverb.

No comments: