I'm Groovin...


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Thursday, September 11, 2008

that's whats up

The past two days have been a whirlwind.
Today I was out of the office from 10 to 2 for a volunteer fair. I met so many wonderful students and I realized I really love working with our students. Even more so than anything else I do. It was a long day but I also got to meet other community organizations. In addition, I met some other AmeriCorp members who are serving in Philly. It got me to thinking about how it would be awesome to get AmeriCorp members together who are serving with organizations in the city, so we can network and hang out and be poor together. One more thing to do on my ever growing to-do list.
I also did an awkward photo shoot ( cause really what else could those be) for the Temple News. I got them to do an article for us and it will be appearing in the newspaper. Can I get a woot woot!

Yesterday I had a perspective shifting moment. I should come up with a name for those, like wow moments or something. I don't know if words can adequately wrap themselves around the meaning in this moment. So a client came in yesterday who has a Masters degree but can't find a job. I am so used to working with people who barely have their high school diplomas so this caught me off guard. However, she did not have her bachelors because she received her Masters from a program that allows students to enter based on their experience. She was absolutely wonderful to work with and I really began to empathize with her. She came in with her daughter and the way she interacted with her warmed my heart. I really wanted to get her a job and one where she could do the things she enjoyed. She had such a gift and it would be a shame to see it go to waste. It just got me to thinking about a lot of things. Namely how even if you do believe in yourself and get your education it doesn't really guarentee anything. You really can't be anything you want to be. I just look at the world a little bit differently and realize how unbelievably hard and overwhelming it can be, even when you seem to have things in your favor. I realized I've taken so many things for granted, especially my education and I realize how much of a responsibility I have if I do suceed and go the places I want to go. I see something now I didn't see before.

I should go home. I'm excited to go home, rather than have to treck of to Lush. I do love my job there, though, I just love my apartment and rest as well.

Also I found more info on my Myers Brigg type and my partner that helps me understand myself and him so much better. It also gives me stronger clues into our communication weaknesses and opportunities for my own personal growth. I need to focus on FOLLOW THROUGH!
You can read them here, if you'd like: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Myers-Briggs_Type_Indicator/ENFP and my partner http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Myers-Briggs_Type_Indicator/ISTJ.

No comments: