I'm Groovin...


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Thursday, August 28, 2008

they say in heaven, love comes first

I came in to work early today because I anticipated a huge flow of people in the morning.
Yet our neighboors (I'm trying to get away from calling them clients) showing up to their appointment is unfortunately not very common. What tends to happen is that people will just show up all in the afternoon, especially people who don't have an appointment. I have one woman who is coming who just got kicked out of her apartment, shes 7 mos pregnant and has a nine year old son. I've been collecting some housing resources and trying to connect with this organization that specifically works with low-income women
http://wcrpphila.com/Fracontact.html. But they aren't answering their phones or aren't there I don't know.
Shawn is out of the office today and tomorrow so I'm hanging loose on my own. We also have our information session for new volunteers today. But it is welcome week at Temple, so I don't expect a huge turnout. It's one of three. I loved being on campus yesterday, it just felt really good, seeing all the students and their families and such.
I have a ton of other work today, including compiling our monthly report and working on notes for the meeting I have with the director of community relations next Tuesday. But I'll take a break to give y'all a shout out while I transition mindsets from client meetings to administrative tasks.
In other news, I have roaches in my apartment. I've seen two but I think if you see two then that means there's more. I'll admit my apartment is definetely not the cleanest place lately, so I really can't blame them. But all I want to do is go home and clean my apartment and set up roach traps. Oh how I long for the time of 20 legged house centipedes.
I had a really good conversation with a good friend last night which reminded me of how much I don't want to lose touch with the people that I had the fortune of meeting in my years at UF. I feel so self-concious and clingy lately but I am very much a relationship person and I value those strong relationships in my life and I don't want to lose them. I've learned in the last year that relationships don't just magically stay in tact. You have to work at them and tend to them. I've been lucky to regain my friendships with two really good and wonderful girls who have such a warm place in my heart.
Talking about being 'busy' I really need to stop signing up for volunteering. I'm even thinking about taking time of at Lush to sign up for volunteer projects. Moderation, girlie, moderation. There are just so many issues I'm interested in learning about and opportunities I want to be involved in. Since we can't be involved in political or advocacy things as AmeriCorp workers I might need to take time off at the end of the month because their is this demonstration happening at City Hall for affordable housing, especially for low-income women. I just feel like I want to be apart of that because it is such a big issue. But we will see, moderation. Maybe it's because I'm a tiger http://pages.infinit.net/garrick/chinese/tiger.html
But anyway, I think my mindset is coming back and now I can continue working on designing our trainings and volunteer packets and blah blah. Okay, ciao!

Quote:There is really nothing you must be. And there is nothing you must do. There is really nothing you must have. And there is nothing you must know. There is really nothing you must become. However it helps to understand that fire burns, and when it rains the earth gets wet. Japanese Zen Scroll

Song: The heart of the matter by Don Henley
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLgUuHl2xJo

No comments: